It was August 25, 2010. The rain was coming down hard sounding like uncooked rice grains falling on the ground. The sky had frowned upon us producing big depressing clouds. I had managed to be strong up to this day and I never felt more ready. The college I had dreamed of attending was calling my name welcoming me with open arms. Starting that next chapter in my life and being an independent young woman should be an exciting moment in my life. For the past two months ago I was so eager to be living in the city of New York and starting the next step of my education. Today that day had arrived.
I had arrived, checked in, and with the help of my family everything was now in my dormroom. I walked my loved ones back to the car. Then it was time for my family to leave. I thought I was ready, but it had finally hit me. As I said goodbye to my family, I realized I couldn’t do it. The tears started rolling down my eyes like how sand falls in an hour glass. My sister and my mother also started to cry. It was surprising seeing my mother, the strongest woman I know, shed those tears. She cries as often as there is a leap year. The three of us held on to each other like an unbreakable bond. I knew they were going to have to go sometime so I let them go. As they drove off my heart was an icebox waiting to be thawed until the next time I experienced their warm embrace. I walked back to Donovan Hall feeling so lonely. I had never felt so on my own before.
No comments:
Post a Comment